Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Winter blue is now spring green!

I think I am in denial.

Is it really spring?  

It took Herculean survival skills for this gardener to get through our Northeast winter.  I just might be over it for good; I say it every year: I want warmer weather for longer, I don't want my car to engage me in a snowy striptease every time I need to go someplace, and I definitely could do with out the tundra.  

But all that winter weariness wanders away as soon as my body and mind connect with the evolution of spring.  Regardless of the freak warm weather we get these days, I love the moments of disbelief that, there I stand, raking spring garden beds, in a t-shirt!  Feeling that warm sun on my skin makes me drunk and sleepy on it's vitamins; I lay on the grass hoping to feel it grow. What else can make me feel that kind of great?  I challenge you to tell me.  (I'm really glad I'm not a rabbit, or this kind of elation might manifest very differently.) 

Duncan Brine, fellow Pawlingian (read: those from Pawling) and mastermind behind his concept 'Garden Large' (check the Open Days, and GO!), wisely quotes on his webpage, 
"Every time I talk to a savant I feel quite sure that happiness is no longer a possibility. Yet when I talk with my gardener, I'm convinced of the opposite."
 -Bertrand Russel, philosopher, mathematician, and author (1872-1970)

What a time!  Spring!  The heightened awareness I have during this time is uncanny. Witnessing the progressive resurrection of those I tenderly laid to rest makes my heart swell and my head just a little dizzy with love.  

Doesn't everyone feel this way? 

(Hmmm . . . ) 

Well, then shouldn't everyone feel this way?

No comments:

Post a Comment